Job title: Musical Director / Principal Conductor
Paid Position, Part-Time
Southampton University Symphony Orchestra is one of the leading student orchestras in the UK. The orchestra comprises the most talented musicians at the University of Southampton, who all share an enthusiasm and passion for playing exciting and challenging music. SUSO’s success has led to the majority of our concerts since 2014 being sell-outs, and as we approach our 100th anniversary, we are looking for our next professional conductor to inspire and guide the next generation of musicians.
SUSO is completely student run, so our Musical Director will be working alongside a friendly and hard-working elected committee of orchestral members. We are lucky to rehearse and often perform in our very own concert hall, Turner Sims, which is widely recognised as amongst the best student concert halls in the country with its captivating atmosphere and acoustics, versatility, and regular hosting of international performers. Rehearsals are every Wednesday during term-time from 7.00pm-10.00pm, and the orchestra usually performs three concerts during the academic year.
SUSO also embark on a tour in June, for which the Musical Director will receive a fee and all expenses paid. Past destinations include Bordeaux, Cologne, Prague, Barcelona and Berlin.
The duties of the role include:
- Conducting the weekly rehearsals over the course of a term.
- Conducting termly concerts.
- Assisting in choosing enjoyable music designed to stretch and challenge the orchestra.
- Auditioning members at the start of the academic year and designing a seating plan alongside the President and Assistant Conductor.
- Advising and assisting the committee on the artistic direction of SUSO.
- Working with the Assistant Conductor. The Assistant Conductor is always a student at the University who prepares a short piece with the orchestra every concert. Mentorship from the Principle Conductor can be invaluable for their performance skills.
We are looking for someone with the following attributes:
- Experience in conducting a wide range of repertoire to a high standard.
- Passion for training young musicians. Prior experience of working with student orchestras would be preferable.
- Good interpersonal skills and a willingness to work alongside the committee.
- Strong industry knowledge and understanding.
Please apply with:
- Your CV.
- At least one link to a video of you conducting.
- A suggested programme of repertoire.
Feel free to send references.
The successful candidate must be able to take up the post from September 2019.
Applications will close on Friday 5th April 2019 with interviews and auditions taking place soon after. Audition material will be chosen from Mahler’s 1st Symphony and Saint-Saens’ Bacchanale from ‘Samson and Delilah’. Successful candidates will be provided with an audition information sheet.
To apply or for additional information, please email email@example.com.